Monday, May 11, 2015

Yarn stash organizer

    Yup. You read that right. Yarn. Stash. Organizer. I found a couple organizers that Dedri, from over at Look at What I Made, made and I thought they were both super cute and knew I had to make one for my stash. I have adapted her organizer slightly....so that I wouldn't have to by a new ink cartridge and more printer paper...that and for some reason my printer hasn't been liking my computer....anyways....Dedri is so awesome she gave me permission to share my adaptation with y'all.
    Now I haven't finished putting my yarn in it...I've really only put my yarn that I got for Mother's Day into it but I wanted to share with y'all anyway. For my organizer, I decided to use a sketchbook and after standing in Wal-mart's scrap booking aisle for what seemed like forever, I decided on using sugar skull duct tape to decorate the outside and got a permanent green (Wasabi) paint marker to use to write on the front of it. Armed with all of these things and my trusty heart hole punch, I set out to make my yarn stash organizer.
   Cut a piece of tape that is about two inches longer then the edges of the book.
   Place the first piece so that it hangs over the top and bottom by an inch and a half and the side by an inch. Cut a one inch slit into the side of the tape, you will be folding the longer piece over onto the inside of the book.


 After folding the longer piece onto the book, cut the shorter pieces so that they are even with the long side of the book and then fold them over as well.


Since I was using a duct tape that had a big design on it I had to make sure the pictures on each piece matched up.
 I did the binding by cutting a half a cm piece,
 and carefully placing next to the paper.

  Cut a the ends into a rectangle small enough to fit into the opening of the binding, fold the end over by a half a cm and then carefully tuck it inside (I used a toothpick to push it in there).
Then continue the previous steps on the other side.
Came out so cute! Don't you agree?! There were other kinds of duct tape and stickers and stuff so you can decorate anyway you want. I did write down a bunch of different sayings/handwritings to figure out what I wanted to write on it. But I'm happy with how it came out.
I put a tally mark under the color so that when I start going thru my stash I can put more tallies so I will know how many skeins I have.
I also used a little bit of Elmer's to glue down the wrapper so I would have the brand and washing info...I think I will be getting some double sided tape in the near future to do this instead. Recap? I love it & I can't wait to add all of my yarn to it!!!
xxoo Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment